Friday, November 25

Confessions in the Dark

“I’m sorry,” Franklin said. Portia could not locate him in the dark but turned her head to the direction his voice came from. A wall separated them.
“For what?”
“For the mess we’re in.”
“Actually, I think the blame rest squarely with that bitch Robin Slick.”
“I mean getting involved with Turkish. If I had looked, I could have found a less dangerous way to get us to Eden Twelve but I wanted it to be dramatic, cinematic even.”
Portia paused before replying, “I know.”
“And now you’re never going to talk to me again?”
“While I am offended on many levels, that you think tagging along with my grandmother and myself a venture capitalism, Bea doesn’t seem to mind. She seems to respect a little hustle.”
“And you?”
“I’m naïve. I knew you had a motive but I thought it was…me.”
“Oh.”
“Arrogant, I know.”
“Listen, I’m the arrogant one. I’m always thinking and acting like I can talk my way out of any situation. This is entirely my fault. You’re really terrific.”
Portia did not need to hear the platitudes about how terrific she was, but she just wasn’t the right girl for him. “Spare me the feelings saving crap.”
“But you are terrific and I do like you, but more like my little sister. You had it right that night I Laredo.”
“I was falling down drunk.”
“And a man who had less respect, would have taken advantage of you.”
“I was a bit sloppy that night.”
“I never had a little sister, having someone to look out for, family. I quite like it.”
After considering, Portia said, “Having a brother is nice.”
“For smeg’s sake,” Bea said. “Are you two quite done with the teary, heart felt confessions?”
“We’re having a moment here, Bea,” Portia snapped.
“Fine, I just want to know if you two lovebirds want to get out of this mess or if you’d rather continue discussing the things you wish you said or did.”
“Oh, and just how are you planning on getting out now? Brought your sword cane.”
“No.”
There was some rustling and then a loud pop.
The lights flickered on. Bea was standing outside Portia’s cell with a broad smile.
“I plan on doing something,” she said.
“How’d you do that?” Brick asked.
“Yeah, how did you do that,” Portia repeated.
“Did you bring your chewing gum like I told you?” Bea asked.
“No.” Of course she didn’t bring the chewing gum. She didn’t like chewing gum. It stuck to her teeth.
Bea sighed as she went to the control panel. She punched a few buttons and the force fields on the cells went down. She said, “Corporate design on the standard holding cell has not changed much in fifty years. I’ve been in the brig often enough to pick up on a little trick. Chewing gum stuck to the side, there,” she tapped the inside of the cell wall, near the floor. “A wad of chewing gum there will short out the relays. Saved the Moyamesing that way.”
“Clever Clovelly,” Portia said.
“A spy infiltrated the crew, made us vulnerable and we were boarded. The entire crew was captured and put in cells. Luckily, I knew a handy little trick picked up from my less than illustrious past. Freed the crew and saved the day.”
“Just like in the movie,” Franklin said. “I thought for sure that scene was made up.”
“Honestly happened.”
The field to Brick’s cell was lowered. “How’s that work, anyway.”
“No idea,” Bea said. “Someone once guessed that proteins in the chewing gum interferes with the particle relay, but I think he was making that up to sound clever.”
“Who said that?”
“Antony. He was just trying to impress me so he could get into my pants.”
“Bea,” Portia said, not even mildly interested in pretending she was shocked or offended.
“Worked, too.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home