Friday, November 25

The Brothers Ang

Another hour passed. No one said much.
“I don’t suppose you have any fancy plans?” Portia asked Franklin.
“No.”
“Schemes?”
“Fresh out.”
“How about a plot?”
His head hung between his legs. “I’ve got nothing.”
The door to the room opened. Two large pirates entered. “Clovelly,” the one on the left said, “on your feet.”
Bea and Portia stood.
“Do you think you’re being funny?”
“Absolutely, not, sir,” Bea answered sincerely. “I’m Clovelly and so is she.”
The pirate looked at his data pad and muttered, “Mister Fancy Pants can’t be specific. I guess we’ll take both of them.”


Martin Ang did not share much of a familiar resemblance with Viktor Ang. Whereas Viktor looked as if he were a ruddy-faced kid wearing a suit tow sizes two large, Martin Ang was more solidly built. Martin Ang had a ruddy complexion but that was the extent of the visual similarities. Martin Ang had grown thick around the middle from a profitable life of crime and piracy.
Viktor was pacing, hands clasped behind his back to keep them from shaking nervously.
Martin sat in the captain’s chair.
The pirate pushed Portia into the room, shoving roughly. “Watch it,” she said. Her hands were cuffed behind her back.
When she saw the brothers side by side, she knew instantly that she was very much screwed. She also knew just how it was Martin Ang had all the detail plans and schematics for the Chairman of the Board, how it was so easy for him to walk in and fly away with the pride of the Corporation’s fleet: his brother was leaking information.
“If it isn’t Clever Clovelly,” Viktor Ang said, smirking at his own witticism.
“I really can’t stand you, you know,” Portia said.
“You never were very good about hiding your motives, Clovelly,” Viktor Ang said. He played the holo of Portia modifying the Crosby’s terminal.
“Burning bridges,” Portia said. “I have no intention of returning to work for the Corporation or for you.”
“I was able to trace the signal to you. Very sloppy work.”
“And what is it you are planning to do to me, since I am apparently at your mercy? You can’t exactly turn me over to the authorities, seeing as how your brother stole a Drive ship thanks to your help.”
“Yes,” Viktor Ang said. “That does seem to be a problem. I guess you are to be personal prisoner.”
Martin Ang spoke for the first time. “No prisoners! We do not take prisoners on my ship.”
Viktor took a step closer to Portia. He grabbed her chin roughly. The thick expensive cologne clouded her mind. “I think we can find another position for you to occupy then, sweetheart.”
Portia twisted away slightly and landed a kick in the middle of Viktor Ang’s chest. It made a delightful hollow ringing sound on impact.
Martin Ang stood up from the chair. “I’ve had quit enough for this pet fixation of yours, Viktor. If it can not behave itself, you will dispose of it.”
Viktor Ang rubbed his chest. There was a dirt outline of the sole of Portia’s boot. “I’ll take care of it.”
“Don’t you come near me!”
“What are you going to do? Kick me again?”
“I’ll kick you I that pretty face of yours!”
That did not give Viktor motive to pause.
Portia’s boot connected with his nose. Blood gushed down the front of his Corporate whit shirt.
Clutching his nose, “Take me away, now!” Viktor Ang ordered.
Once again two large pirates grabbed Bea and Portia and marched them down the corridors.
The pirates shoved Bea and Portia into separate cells.
“I didn’t know you could that,” Bea said.
“I took karate at university.”
“Really?”
“Why do you think I’m always going on about my kung fu? Although, I abhor violence, and only use my training in defense.”
“Of course. But still, that was pretty kick ass.”
“Thanks, Bea.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home